Monday 9 July 2007

My Nana Martin


My great grandmother was a demon with a crochet hook and continued to produce ‘granny’ square blankets right into her 90s. She would buy old jumpers form charity shops or jumble sales and produce the most fantastic blankets from the unraveled yarn. I remember being enthralled by the speed of her hands and amazed by her artistic productivity.

Over the years she must have produced literally hundreds of blankets of various sizes. All new babies received a cot cover, every bed had a blanket. Nana’s creations were not only given to every family member, but were also donated to charities as raffle prizes or to keep people in need warm through the winter.
Family members now live all over the world and I would love to know what Nana would make of her blankets adorning beds in countries that she never got to visit.

Even though I spent my childhood years surrounded by Nana’s crochet blankets it was only relatively recently that I got to grips with the craft myself. Crochet is currently enjoying a huge revival with many knitters now wanting to swap their needles for a hook in order to create lovely edgings for their hand knitted garments or to produce intricate corsages and flowers to sew on as decoration.

The thing that I really love about crochet is that you can create small pieces which eventually end up being something large. Once mastered, crochet is incredibly speedy and portable. It is easily stowed away in a small bag so that I can get a little fix whenever and wherever I like.

So it seems that like Nana I have become a crochet junkie….. it must be in the blood.